<$BlogRSDURL$> abbr, acronym { cursor: help; font-style: normal; font-weight:bold; color: #2a548d; /*border-bottom: 1px solid; */ }

Eminent Domain Stuff


New London Update (2/24/06)
Bad NLDC!
Coverage of the Rally at New London's City Hall (w/ pics)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Calling All Jackbooted Thugs

If you're a jackbooted thug and want some hands on training, New London CT might just be the place for you come 15 June 2006. That's the deadline by which either a deal must be reached with the remaining Fort Trumble homeowners, or they will face eviction (oh, and thanks for backing out, Gov). Amazingly there have not been a heck of a lot of coverage around here and so I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the city is planning. Are they going to bust down the door if someone refuses to leave? I'm guessing that once all the legal avenues are exhausted that's exactly what they'll do.

This whole thing is a freaking travesty against liberty and everything this country is supposed to stand for. What we are witnessing in New London CT is the forcible seizure of private property by the government who is then going to turn around and give that private property to a private company who will then use it for their own ends. This is absolutely tyrannical. I know, I know...the 'officials' will point out that everything went through all the legal channels. And you know what? I don't give a crap. This is BS, and everybody knows it.

So, what happens now? People will be removed from their homes. The only question that remains is whether they leave on their feet, or feet first. I know it's horrible to contemplate, but I fear this situation will end with bloodshed. The homeowners have held out for so long, faced down such powerful people and institutions that there is likely at least one among them who will not go quietly into the night. Let me state that I have no inside knowledge of anything in particular, and to some extent I hope I'm wrong...but I really fear for the life of anyone who refuses to leave.

A big part of me wants to tell them all to leave quietly. That they've been beaten in an unfair fight. At the end of the day, however, I don't have any idea what I would do in their place. Although now that we've established that a CT city can take your house to 'increase the tax base', we are all in danger of finding out just exactly what we'd do.

God help us.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?