<$BlogRSDURL$> abbr, acronym { cursor: help; font-style: normal; font-weight:bold; color: #2a548d; /*border-bottom: 1px solid; */ }

Eminent Domain Stuff


New London Update (2/24/06)
Bad NLDC!
Coverage of the Rally at New London's City Hall (w/ pics)

Thursday, May 20, 2004

 
Cosby Steps In A Steaming Pile of PC

It looks like Bill has made some people angry (second story on page). I guess the bright side of the story is that the NAACP and their buddies at Harvard have not given him a pass just because of his skin color...but then they never gave Clarence Thomas, Condi, etc. much of one either. I guess they mostly don't like successful, Conservative blacks. Humm...

Anyway, let's see what made them so hopin' mad:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he declared. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.' . . .

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he exclaimed. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' . . . And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. . . . Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. . . . You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"


Now I haven't found the complete transcript yet...but from what I've seen I can't seem to find any falsehoods in Mr. Cosby's statements. Did he go too far? Sure, in the sense that he obviously made liberals mad. But what did he say that was factually incorrect. And further what, among the things he pointed out, would not leave the black community in a better place if fixed? Are people really so attached to ebonics that they would insist on speaking that way even if it cost them a chance to make something of themselves?

I don't think that Bill was out to insult all black people...and I am obviously not. I don't care what color your skin is. All I ask is that people shut up, work hard ask for help only when they need it. The endless cycle caused by Welfare in this country hurts everyone. We need to do whatever we can to break people's dependency on the government while giving them a fighting chance (not a guarantee...just a fighting chance)…we do not need to be berating a guy who points out some of the root problems.

Update:

Ramblings' Journal has some comment.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?