<$BlogRSDURL$> abbr, acronym { cursor: help; font-style: normal; font-weight:bold; color: #2a548d; /*border-bottom: 1px solid; */ }

Eminent Domain Stuff


New London Update (2/24/06)
Bad NLDC!
Coverage of the Rally at New London's City Hall (w/ pics)

Monday, October 10, 2005

 

Miers To Be Voted Down?

During the past 5 years I've been a staunch supporter of Bush the Foreign Policy President. At home, on the other hand, I think I've basically agreed with him on tax cuts...and not much else.

While I wouldn't want anything to happen that would decrease his ability to prosecute the GWOT, I must admit that a very large part of me is hoping that the Senate Republicans grow a collective backbone sufficient to vote Harriet Miers down and out. Just send her packing.

I know as little about her as the next politicophile, and while I'm sure she's a very nice lady I just don't think she deserves to be a Supreme Court Justice. So, I'm more than passingly interested to see if anything comes of this early, and perhaps surface-only, discontent:

Nearly half of Senate Republicans say they remain unconvinced that Harriet Miers is worthy of being confirmed to the Supreme Court, according to a survey conducted by The Washington Times.
[...]
What's troubling for President Bush, however, is that 27 Republican senators -- almost half of his party's members in the chamber -- have publicly expressed specific doubts about Miss Miers or said they must withhold any support whatsoever for her nomination until after the hearings.
This is one of those issues that just may shine some light onto the issue of whether Senate Republicans are, in fact, ideological Republicans (and therefore capable of independent thought, obstensivly the trademark of our species) or if they're just lackeys of the ever more disappointing Republican Party (and therefore unable to force a single novel idea to congeal in their over-paid noggins).

Time will tell. But either way, I doubt that the Miers confirmation vote will be the factor determining whether or not someone retains his/her seat in the Senate. So I suppose it's really unimportant anyway. Once again (to blend two great thinkers): Democracy, worst form of government ever...except for all those others that have been tried.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?