<$BlogRSDURL$> abbr, acronym { cursor: help; font-style: normal; font-weight:bold; color: #2a548d; /*border-bottom: 1px solid; */ }

Eminent Domain Stuff


New London Update (2/24/06)
Bad NLDC!
Coverage of the Rally at New London's City Hall (w/ pics)

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

 

Homespun Symposium XVIII

This week's question comes from Patterico:

How has blogging affected your life?

Simple enough question, and for that I thank you Patterico =).

Although I've been blogging for close to a year now, I must admit that reading other people's blogs has probably affected my life more than my own efforts. It will have now been said 1,000,001 times but...bloggers continue to make a huge impact on the way information is not only disseminated but also gathered and analyzed to the point that news services and their personnel are increasingly forced to be honest or pay the consequences (a la Dan Rather). That has lead to what is probably the biggest effect of blogs on my life, I now have an aggregate source for news and opinion that is not filtered through the prism of news desks, editors, et al. I can now find information that has been filtered through many individuals, with the eventual effect of finding something that might actually resemble the truth. Not a perfect system, but a heck of a lot better than when there were three talking heads and a few newspapers from which all news flowed.

My own blogging has had at least three effects, two on my blood pressure and a third on my personal relationships. In the short term blogging has a tendency to raise my BP as I tend to get a little worked up by the various and sundry outrageousness going on in the world on a daily basis. The long-term effect of blogging on my BP is, however, a therapeutic one. By giving me a public outlet my blog has let me get things off my chest that would otherwise build up and eventually lead to a relatively messy scene. Along the same vein (ouch, sorry), my personal relationships have likely benefited from blogging. As with the long term therapeutic effect on my BP, the outlet of MuD&PHuD has allowed my friends to be spared the serious ear-bending that would likely be otherwise necessary to avoid the aforementioned messy scene of my chest exploding from unexpressed opinions.

So my advice to everyone out there is start a blog and apply at whatever dose you find therapeutic. Who knows, maybe you'll get an Instalaunch and end up devoting double-digit hours every week to feeding the machine (not me). Or, maybe you'll labor in obscurity satisfying your thirst to be heard within a small subset of the blogosphere (me). Either way, pull a chair up to the keyboard and let loose.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?