<$BlogRSDURL$> abbr, acronym { cursor: help; font-style: normal; font-weight:bold; color: #2a548d; /*border-bottom: 1px solid; */ }

Eminent Domain Stuff


New London Update (2/24/06)
Bad NLDC!
Coverage of the Rally at New London's City Hall (w/ pics)

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

 

ACLU And Free Speech

I was really impressed when the ACLU came to the defense of Rush Limbaugh regarding the privacy of his medical records. Typically I find myself opposing nearly everything the ACLU actually does (as distinct from what they purport to stand for). Unfortunately, The Volokh Conspiracy has brought to my attention yet another issue on which I disagree with the ACLU. The truly disappointing thing about this particular case is that the ACLU has now broken with its previously staunch support of Freedom.

It would appear that the ACLU wants a judge to make a ruling prohibiting the publication of the plaintiff’s name who is suing over the display of the 10 Commandments in a public place in Nebraska.

As Eugene points out:

...the ACLU's reputation for principled defense of free speech, and the grudging admiration that this has at times earned the ACLU even from some of its opponents, is one of its most valuable assets.
This is absolutely true. Before this case I counted the ACLU among a very small group of people/organizations with whom I generally disagree but respect because of seemingly-uncompromising consistency. Well, if the case is as it appears (and here I'm relying on the always-insightful commentary of Mr. Volokh himself), the ACLU will have brought itself down multiple notches on my personal ranking of respect. Not a huge loss, I suppose, but they may run into problems if I am not be alone.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?