<$BlogRSDURL$> abbr, acronym { cursor: help; font-style: normal; font-weight:bold; color: #2a548d; /*border-bottom: 1px solid; */ }

Eminent Domain Stuff


New London Update (2/24/06)
Bad NLDC!
Coverage of the Rally at New London's City Hall (w/ pics)

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

 
Measurable Effects of Abortion?

The ladies at After Abortion have linked to a study in the Southern Medical Journal (2002 v. 95(8) P. 834) entitled: Deaths Associated With Pregnancy Outcome: A Record Linkage Study of Low Income Women. It purports to provide evidence that women who have an abortion have a higher risk of death by various causes (natural, violent, suicide, etc.) than women who have not had an abortion but have delivered children.

While I want to believe this study, I must point out that although the authors state that their results are significant and provide acceptable p-values, their 95% confidence intervals don’t seem to agree. Maybe I’m missing something (probably the case), but I fail to see how or where. If anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear them.

Update:

All right, all right...we're all entitled to our little mix-ups. I just realized that (brace yourselves =)) I was in error. Just to set the record straight, a 95% confidence interval indicates significance if it does not include '1'. I would like to thank Emily, of After Abortion fame, for getting back to me on this topic.

So, the upshot is that I find this study to be quite interesting. If this pans out, it would seem that pro-choicers will have to come to terms with this increased risk. Most likely they'll claim that counseling will take care of this, and they may be right. But I wonder if there are organic causes behind this increased risk. I'll have to look a little closer at the available data.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?